Monday, May 23, 2011

A new addition to the Reading Room

I am a letter writer. I obsess over stationary, stamps, writing letters, I love it all. My dream for some time has been to own a roll-top desk with little cubbies for all my letter-writing needs. As I worked at the First Presbyterian Rummage Sale last week, I mentioned my dream to a kind old lady who I was working with. She replied, "I was in a thrift store in Woodstock last week and they had a good looking roll-top desk for 75 dollars" I had to collect myself as I almost wet my pants at the news. I asked her for the name of the thrift store and decided I'd call to see if they still had it. I was almost positive that a roll-top desk, in good condition for only 75 dollars wouln't have lasted a week, but I called anyway. When I did, not only was it still there, there was a sale on all furniture for 30% off. I asked what time they opened the next morning and made it to woodstock with 10 minutes to spare. I was in love. It wasn't as big as the lady said on the phone, but couldn't pass up this wonderful desk for only 56 dollars!!!


I paid for the desk and asked the lady who could help me get it into my Jeep. She looked at me with a confused look and said, "Nobody told you?" My heart dropped. "Tell me what?" I said. She said that there wasn't anyone here to help me, and I needed to bring my own help. I just about cried. I had called twice the night before about the desk and nobody had mentioned it. I had gotten up early, driven all the way to woodstock, and had to be home by noon.


To my luck, a wonderful man and his wife walked in at this time and he offered to help me. I almost cried again, thanking him a million times. We got it into my car, and when I got home from running all my errands that day, Ryan helped me get it into the house (which wasn't easy), but sooooo worth it.


That night, I sat down at my new desk, cleaned it, and wrote 5 letters.


Life is good.












1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you loved to write letters. That's pretty cool. You should post more stuff about yourself so I can get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete