Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Beauty

This morning, I set Sydney down on the floor in front of her mirror with some other toys. She was so fascinated by the cute baby in the mirror. She was smiling, clapping, waving her arms, and posing.

For the first time since becoming a mother, I worried about how my sweet girl will view herself in the future. Will she be confused by what the world considers, " beautiful"? Will she be made fun of for being "fat" or " ugly"? Will she be judged by the clothes she wears? will she come home from school one day begging for a miniskirt so she will fit in at school? Will she look in the mirror one day and think, "I wish I looked more like _______"? For the first time I got a small glimpse of what my sweet girl will probably face someday. I began to wonder how I should go about teaching her what true beauty is, that is comes from her loving Heavenly Father, and that she is full of it. Will telling her be enough? Probably not, but it's a great start.

I absolutely love my Sydney, and I learn from her each and every day. Today, I learned that if I tear myself apart every time I look in the mirror, then I run the risk of teaching her to do the same.


So I guess my first item of business is to remind myself that I am beautiful each and every day. Then, I will tell her that SHE is beautiful!







No comments:

Post a Comment